03 December 2009

Joseph

William and I are planning to audition for Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat next week. The Chaska Valley Family Theatre is putting it on. Rehearsals are from 6:30-9pm M-F throughout January and the first couple weeks of February, and then it has two weeks of performances. Not everyone has to be at every rehearsal, of course, so it won't be like I'm gone every night, if I make it, but it could be a big time commitment, depending on the part. If William and I are cast, Dallin would also like to be in the cast. They don't audition children under 8, but cast younger siblings of those who get in.


I have had the silly idea that I could get the part of the narrator, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that they aren't very likely to put someone who hasn't been in a major production in 12 years in a lead role. Especially since they don't know me. But, it would still be fun to be in the chorus. Part of the reason I want to do this is to get to know people outside of the church in our community, and being in the chorus would give me more of an opportunity to do that.

I need a little help from anyone who has experience with community theater. The audition for adults consists of a memorized, 16 measure vocal audition. We are to provide the music for the accompanist. I was thinking of doing "Almost Like Being in Love," but I'm not sure if that is a good selection, especially since it is a man's role in Brigadoon. Aaron says not to use a love song at all. Should I just use something from Joseph? Is there another piece of music that would be better suited for this audition? (Later) What about The Teachers Argument from Fame? I was Miss Bell in high school, so I know it. It is upbeat and shows off the range, as well as technical skill. See it here: http://www.sheetzbox.com/piano/sheets/6341/Fame-The_Teachers_Argument_PianoChords.html

After the vocal audition, the choreographer will be teaching some "simple dance steps," and then we will audition in small groups for the choreographer.

I need to know what to wear for the audition. The website says to dress for movement. Do I dress nicely for the vocals, and then change for the dance portion? I have a pair of exercise pants that look just like black jazz pants. Do I wear them with my pink workout shirt? Do I wear a more suitable shirt over it for the vocal, and then just slip it off for the dance? What kind of footwear should I wear for the dance portion? Would ballet slippers be out of place? That's what I always wore for high school musicals, but I don't know what to expect here. Do I need modern dance shoes?

Any advice would be much appreciated!


1 comments:

Pat said...

Ask Barb Tieben -- I'm sure I saw something about someone in a post of hers who had just been in a production there. Her daughter Katie is in musical theater...