
Eight performances later, and our run of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is over. I started to get sad after the Saturday night performance, even though there was still one show left. I didn't bawl yesterday afternoon, but I got a little teary-eyed a few times.
The show was very successful. We had a number of sold out shows, and some great audiences. Our Friday night audience this past week was one of the best. They stood up and clapped along with us when we got to the "Go Go Go Joseph" part of the Mega Mix (the curtain call), and were engaged and enthusiastic throughout the show. You wouldn't believe how much an audience that responds appropriately loudly during the performance can fuel more energy into the cast.
The thing I'll remember the most about this experience was the people I met and became friends with. My fellow Canaan Chorus members will be missed, especially Brenda Patterson, Ginny Fogg, Becky Salita, Martha Keenan, Vicki Turner, and Carol Thomas. Bill Coldwell, our director, Joan Nelson, our vocal director, Drew Hasty, our orchestra director, and Katy Jarvis, our choreographer, all left great impressions on me, and I'd be enthusiastic to work with any of them again. Connie, one of the stage hands, became a friend throughout the performances. She and I always chatted before the opening scene while we waited, and we figured out we knew a few of the same people.
One other thing I'll certainly remember about this experience is how important it is to follow promptings. I really felt good about auditioning for this show. I was excited when I got cast. I had to overcome fears that it was too much time away from my other kids in the evenings. That was hard. But, once I saw how good it was for William, and also how much it helped Aaron, giving him a creative outlet during a particularly stressful time, I knew I made the right choice. Participating in an organization like this is good for getting through a long Minnesota winter, too.
I'll probably be auditioning with CVFT again. This summer, they are doing a musical melodrama, written by one of the cast members from this show. In it, villainous Drake Foulweather tries everything, including marriage, to get control of the land left to Mary Goodhue by her father. In the end, Mary's goodness saves the day and leads to a happy ending for the heroes and a well-deserved comeuppance for the villains. Doesn't that sound fun? It will be held in the Chaska Community Center, which is only a 15 minute drive from my house, rather than 25 minutes, so that is really nice!
They are also having a week-long DragonFly Arts Camp (day camp) for kids in June. William is very interested in this, and I think we'll let him do it.
Aaron fell in love with the keyboard he used in the show, and it has motivated him to start thinking again about getting one for his composition hobby. I'm encouraging it.
There's plenty to look forward to, so I'm not going to let this show's end get me down.

1 comments:
I wish I could have seen it!! It sounds like it was a lot of fun! I miss community theater. You should definitely do more plays this summer, so I can see it!
Post a Comment