If you're reading this Valentine's week, you will see a beautiful bouquet of roses on the left of the screen. Yes, it has taken me this long to figure out that there are all sorts of free template codes out there, other than the ones Blogger gives us. I knew that, deep down, but I just never bothered to look for any before now.
Anyway, to get on with things, Aaron told me the other night that he has thought about getting me flowers a lot recently. But, he wanted to know how I currently felt about that.
Most women love getting flowers. I like flowers. They are very pretty. I just don't like the idea of paying for hothouse flowers. How much do you figure the bouquet of roses off to the left cost? Probably $60. Maybe $30, with a coupon, but undoubtedly you'll have to pay $20 for shipping with that deal. Yes, it is beautiful. Yes, if I were being proposed to, I might like the idea of the night starting out with a bouquet like that one (that didn't happen - our engagement was an extremely informal discussion while sitting on a couch, probably during a commercial break during an episode of Friends or some other sitcom of the 1990's, but that's not the point).
For all the romance a bouquet of flowers could mean to someone else, to me it means I could have put that money toward our mortgage principle. It means I could have built up our savings account a little more. It means I am going to feel guilty every time I look at it because after it quits dropping crud all over my table that I will have to clean up each morning, and then finally dies, all I'll have left is one more glass vase to take up space in the cupboard above my refrigerator, and $60 less in our grocery budget.
I told Aaron I still feel the same way. A couple of days later, he asked me what I wanted for Valentine's Day. We got interrupted before I could think it over. The other night, I was upset about my nail polish lasting only a day, and I told him I would love a mani-pedi. I actually told him I thought we should both get a mani-pedi together, but he really didn't go for that idea. He said he found the idea of paying for someone to manicure one's nails was upsetting, and that it was even more upsetting if one is male.
I have only had two manicures in my life. One was for a birthday party of one of my childhood friends. We went to the Scot-Lewis beauty school and got very simple manicures. I think I was in about the 3rd grade. The other was on a whim when I was a teenager. It was also at that beauty school. It only cost $5, and I got what I paid for. It was very rushed, and there weren't many polish options. It did last a couple of weeks, though, from what I can remember. However, I have heard some women lately talk about how nice a manicure is, and how their toenails are still pretty two months later, and how nice it is to just look down once in a while and feel good about one's toes. So, I thought it might be nice.
I have one problem with my idea. I'm afraid I will feel about the manicure the way I feel about the roses. Will I feel guilty every time I look at my nails? Will I be upset when they chip? What if the polish doesn't last more than a day, like the stuff I have at home? What if I can't control myself, and I peel it off?
Maybe I should just ask Aaron to make me dinner.

4 comments:
I love pedis. I get one with my mother in law every time she comes to town and they usually last 2 months. I will usually get one at least every 6 months. They are definitely worth it to me. Just make sure that you wait several hours before you put socks on, or you will smear it.
I don't get manicures just because they wouldn't last with my kids. They chip a lot easier.
I love pedicures.
Pick up some rubber gloves.
Tell them you have soft nails so you need strengthening polish. Get the mani-pedi in pale pink so it doesn't show if it chips. Then if it doesn't last, go get yourself some Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails. It seems to last on my toes all summer, and is the only polish I've known to last twice as long as the others, even on fingernails. It has nylon fibers in it, I think.
Also, if you don't want to get the polish with your manicure, they can do cuticles, shape, and buff.
Then use the rubber gloves -- you have to get used to using them. Dust your hands with talcum powder before putting them on and they will pull off better.
Tom and I have had a similar discussion on flowers, or, at least, I tried to argue that they were a waste of money. But, he said he bought them because he wanted me to have them, and he has kept buying them. I admit, I like it.
He doesn't spend $60 on expensive bouquets. Part of the fun part for me is getting to arrange them myself. He goes cheaper and less fancy, and rarely gets vases.
I've never had a mani or pedi, so no advice there. I would think, though, that it is more than just polish, so even if the polish chips, it wasn't a waste. And, just sitting in the chair and not having to get anything for anyone will probably be a break, too.
I just thought I'd mention that my friend Lizzy, who visited me last month, took me for a pedi. They had massage chairs. I have to admit, I loved it, and never felt guilty about it (although it wasn't my money, but I think I might afford it for myself once in a while, anyway).
Post a Comment