01 April 2009

My Testimony

I received a disappointing phone call. My grandmother isn't going to be baptized on April 11th, after all. Her pastor from Maine called her and she decided not to go through with it. I'm not sure what he said. I don't know whether he talked about doctrinal differences, or whether he just asked her to take more time. But I would like to take a moment to write a few words and bear my testimony, for those who may want to hear it.

A testimony isn't from your mind. It doesn't come from logical arguments. It doesn't come from seeing miracles. It isn't from emotions, either. It is from the confirmation received by the Holy Ghost that what is heard or read is true. The Holy Ghost works through the Light of Christ, which is in everyone. However, until baptism and confirmation by one who has authority, we do not have the gift of the Holy Ghost, which is the right to have the Holy Ghost as our constant companion. This makes it very difficult to overcome adversity once we have felt the witness of the Holy Ghost and make the decision to become baptized. Once we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost after baptism by the laying on of hands (confirmation), we have to keep up our end of the covenant to keep it. It slips away when we don't give enough attention to personal prayer and scripture study, when we don't regularly participate in sacrament and other church meetings, and when we sin.

We are not going to be perfect, so we are taught to repent, which is to correct our wrongs, if possible; to confess to God, as well as to our Bishop if our sins are of a serious nature; to be remorseful, and to forsake our sins. We are expected to continually strive to improve. Staying still is not enough.

This said, I have received a witness of the Holy Ghost that Christ's church was restored to the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I felt it first when I attended seminary classes at the age of 16. Unfortunately, at that time I was not strong enough to overcome the adversity from those around me (in their defense, they thought they were protecting me) until I was of age to make my own choice regarding baptism. I went down a path that lead to misery over the next few years.

As I read the Book of Mormon at the age of 20, I received a testimony of its truthfulness. I felt as though a window to heaven had opened in the evening when I knelt for prayer for the first time after being baptized. I received an assurance that I had chosen what was right, and that Heavenly Father was listening to my prayers, and that he loved me. I have received promptings from the Holy Ghost to make decisions, big and small. I have received an increased understanding of the Bible, and believe it to be the word of God, as long as it is translated correctly.

For some time after being baptized, I would look to the Bible to confirm what I read in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. Through prayer and study, I learned that the Bible has many contradictions to itself, and has many additions and subtractions and translation flaws, but that it is still a book which has much truth. The Book of Mormon compliments the Bible, and brings an added testimony of the Savior, Jesus Christ, and clarifies many of the confusing parts of the Bible. The Doctrine and Covenants goes a step farther in detailing how the church is administrated through Priesthood authority, and what our covenants, responsibilities and promised blessings are.

Our Heavenly Father wants us to return to Him, and in order to do that, through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. The first principles and ordinances of the gospel are; First, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; Second, repentance; Third, baptism by immersion through the remission of sins; Fourth, laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. These are available to all, and the Lord wants for us all to receive them. The blessings of the temple are also available to all, and have made me a stronger person as I have kept my covenants. I know this is true, and I leave this testimony in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comments:

Lizzy said...

Beautifully written! I'm proud to know you.