09 September 2009

Ode to Clean Bedrooms

Ye stained floor, ye are no more.

I rejoice in thy departure!
New carpet, "Cape Sands,"
I rejoice as you land
as my bedrooms and office's decor!

Okay, my poetry leaves something to be desired. But, I had to express my joy at having a bedroom that looks clean. Not just picked up, but clean!!! There were a few stains in the carpet when we moved in, and it has only gotten worse over the past few years.

No, we hadn't planned on replacing the carpet this week, but Dallin and Aidan forced the issue with Katie's carpet, so we did them all at once, in order to save a little money, as we were planning on doing it in a few months, anyway.

How did Dallin and Aidan have something to do with this, you ask? Well, they just so happened to dump a few buckets of water on Katie's bedroom floor, and I quote Dallin, "Because (they) felt like it." Tristin and Brandon were babysitting one day last week when I ran errands, and Dallin and Aidan were quiet for them, and they didn't notice what they did.

I noticed later in the evening, when putting Katie to bed, that the floor was soaked. I sopped it up the best that I could, but it wasn't enough. A few days later, the room stunk of mold. I ripped up the carpet, and the floorboards were still wet. The pad was very stinky. If her carpet had been in good condition, I could have just replaced the pad, but as we were going to replace everything soon, anyway, it made more sense to tear it out. We got a quote from Empire Today (you know the jingle, "800-588-2300 Empire - Today!" I've used them before, and they did a good job, so I used them again.

In case you are ever in the market for carpet, and decide to use them, make sure you beat the price down. They always quote high, and come down quite a bit. In our case, they said it would be $3500, but I brought it down to $2500 with upgraded waterproof pads in Katie's and Aidan & Dallin's rooms. $625 per room, installed, hauled away, and furniture moved (they even took apart and reassembled our bed frame), and the carpet is sooooo soft. I'm really quite pleased. I really didn't expect it to be any less than $800 per room, but labor is cheap right now.

3 comments:

Lizzy said...

That is so fun you got new carpet! Is Empire Today based in Minnesota? I've never heard of it before. Also, I never knew you could negotiate the price of carpet. That is good information to know.

Stefany said...

Empire Today's jingle used to be "588-2300 Empire - Today!" before the Twin Cities got divided into three different area codes, and then they added the "800" to the beginning of it, so I'm thinking it local. You wouldn't believe how clean our upstairs is right now. We got rid of eight large bags of stuff we didn't need in the process of unloading shelves and drawers for the furniture to be moved.

Pat said...

Yaaay! C&J have used them and always been pleased. You're a good negotiator!! "Happy feet, I got those happy feet..."