Callings in the church are inspired of the Lord, right? And every calling is important, and we don't vie for callings. We've all heard the comparison to the church as a body, and it needs every hand, foot, finger, and even the baby toes just as much as the legs, arms and torso. So, a family history consultant and a den leader and a Primary worker are just as important as a Relief Society President and a Bishop to the function of the ward, and no one is better than anyone else because of their calling. So, why is it that when you get called into a presidency, people congratulate you? According to the Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, congratulate means to express vicarious pleasure to (a person) on the occasion of success or good fortune.
Yesterday, I was called as 2nd Counselor in the Primary Presidency. It's my second time in this calling, and I have also served as Primary Secretary. Each time I have been congratulated. I never know what to say when people congratulate me. I feel like I'm acknowledging my hard work in striving for the position if I respond with a "thank you." That's probably the appropriate response, but it all just makes me uncomfortable. I guess I do feel really good that a great woman like Kristen Johnson asked for me to be one of her counselors, and that the Bishopric approved, but is that success or good fortune? Often times, the Lord issues callings to test or teach a person, not because He thinks the person can do the job better than anyone else.
I'm really excited about my new calling. When Aaron told me on Saturday night that I had an appointment with a member of the Bishopric for Sunday morning, I started stressing over it, because I knew there were empty den leader positions, and I figured that would be it, so I prepared myself for it. When I saw Patty Beckle, one of the other cub moms, in the foyer of the church when I arrived, I thought we were doomed. I was pleasantly surprised that a new presidency was being formed, and I'd been called into it (Patty is the new secretary). I like being in Primary.
I was released as a family history consultant and as a member of the pack committee. It is possible that I will end up being the pack committee chair again (I finally convinced everyone that the committee chair should be a member of the primary presidency back when I switched to being the Cubmaster). There is a chance that the Cubmaster's wife will get that position, as she is the other new counselor, and it would sure streamline communication between the organizations. I'm fine with either way our president wants it to be. I would love to not have to be responsible for anything involving Cubs, on one hand, and on the other hand, I would like to try doing the Committee Chair calling with the mantle to really do it. I'll find out how it is all going to work on Friday at our first presidency meeting.
Cabbage and Potato Chowder
1 month ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment