In case you haven't heard, Aaron was sustained as 2nd counselor in the bishopric today. We will never get to sit together in church now, but we should see him a lot more on Sundays, as he won't be traveling around the west metro all day anymore. I guess that is an okay compromise.
In other news, I was sustained as the Relief Society chorister last week. The bishop assures me that he's not putting me out to pasture, but that he will probably be adding to that sometime soon. I am glad to be serving in the Relief Society. I have been getting so much out of attending meetings since being released from Primary. There are so many wonderful women in there to learn from. I really do feel that I need this right now.
The funny thing about both of the callings is that we guessed them before they were extended. I told Aaron the night before I was called that I was sure that was it, and with Tim Lanier's travel load increasing, Aaron figured that he was probably headed to replace him. He is a little disappointed that he won't get to complete his missionary goals on the high council, but I think he'll be glad to be back in the ward.
Aaron and I had what we call "Elijah" parties tonight and last Sunday night. Currently, our stake president has issued a goal for every youth and adult in the stake to find a relative whose temple work isn't complete, submit their name, and do their temple ordinances by next conference. Aaron noticed through his assignment on the high council that people who are of pioneer stock typically don't think there is any work for them to do. As he is of pioneer stock, and I found names for him to do, he knows this isn't the case. There are also some people who just need a little help with learning the web application in order to do it. So, we have been inviting families over to work on their family history, getting them registered on http://new.familysearch.org, and helping them find ancestors to do the work for.
Sometimes it is as easy as looking back a few generations until we come to someone whose temple work isn't done, but more often than not it entails coming back down a couple of generations from the direct line ancestors and looking up some information on family members whose information is sparse via http://ancestry.com. We have found at least one ancestor for each person who has come whose work could be completed.
Well, Brandon and Tristin will be getting up at 2am to get ready to leave for scout camp. I should go to sleep now so I am not a complete grouch tomorrow after having an interrupted night.
Cabbage and Potato Chowder
1 month ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment