Today in Sunday School, we were talking about some of the revelation that we've been given in recent years (meaning the last few decades), and how we've been blessed by it. Someone mentioned how President Hinckley told us to prepare for hard times ahead. We were encouraged to get our finances in order, have a reserve, and get our food storage together. It made me think about my own food storage and financial reserve. I have been good at it. We have sacrificed to put extra money into savings and to pay down our mortgage. We have a full year's supply of food. Have I been blessed by it? Well, I haven't had to use it, so it could be argued that it hasn't done anything for us. I wondered; if Aaron is never out of a job, and if we never end up needing to eat any our food storage, would I someday look back on all the money that could have been spent on something else, and all the storage space that could have been used for other things, and regret it?
No. Not at all. There are blessings for doing what the Lord wants us to do. Maybe there are other blessings for obeying this law than having a financial reserve and a food storage to draw upon when we need it.
When Aaron was considering going to MBA school, we felt very strongly that the Lord wanted him to apply. So strongly, that when the time came to give the University of MN notice of acceptance or denial, we were ready to take a leap of faith, when it was very clear we could not live on our savings plus financial aid, and that we would be ruining our finances for no guarantee that there would be a good ROI. We knew that the Lord would make it work out if it was supposed to. But, as much as he wanted to go, Aaron wasn't feeling right about it.
Going to MBA school was something we had prayed about, and it was worth doing if the Lord wanted us to do it, right? Well, yes. I let Aaron know that I was willing to go by faith, but that I felt like this one was his decision if he decided not to go (I was not going to tell him not to go and have that hanging over my head). He prayed about it, and came out with a no. He said that he had a hard time understanding how a "yes" a year ago could be a "no" now. But, he had some thoughts.
Cabbage and Potato Chowder
1 month ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment