13 March 2009

A Sick Week

What a winter for illness! I've had a cold for over a week now. It was really bad for a couple of days, including last Thursday-Saturday, when Aaron was out of town. I'm mostly over it, but for some sinus congestion.


I had to miss Ben's second grade concert, which made me sad. Aaron managed to get out of work to go to it, though. He said it was very exciting. A girl puked on the risers right away when they were just starting, and she kept puking all the way out the door of the gym. All of the teachers ran to get a janitor, and nobody kept guard of the trail she made. Then, due to the snowstorm, parents kept arriving late and walking through the unattended puke. Aaron thought it was hilarious.

When a classmate has strep, the school nurse sends notices home to everyone in the class. I've seen notices from at least two of my three elementary kids. Then, the nurse sent a special notice to let the entire school know that it has been worse than she's ever seen it, as far as how many kids are getting it. She encouraged us to take kids who complain of headaches or stomach aches in for strep cultures, which is why I took Dallin in. I had assumed his headache and tiredness was just a precursor to coming down with my cold, until I got that notice. So, I looked at his throat, and sure enough, it looked like strep. I had him cultured yesterday, and the rapid came out positive.

I'm hoping the headache I'm getting now isn't strep-related. I am singing at Stake Enrichment tomorrow in Kim Dray's class on creativity, and I'm also in charge of a carpool for people in the Waconia area, so I don't have time to be sick right now. My throat is a little red, but my tonsils are not swollen, so I'm just going to attribute it to the post-nasal drip and hope it goes away.

Katie has my cold. It is very sad to see. Her cheeks are very pink, and she is very whiny. She's also a snot monster. I think she might have a headache, but with the cold, I don't know whether I should be concerned about strep. Doctors would tell you that at her age it is unlikely, but since she's had it twice before, I don't think I'd listen. If I could just look in her throat, I'd probably be able to tell.

Well, Aaron is in Dallas at the temple right now. He had nothing else to do this evening, so he called me to see if I could get him some names to work on. I had some ready for ititiatory in my new.familysearch.org file, so all he had to do was print them off and go. What a cool system.

I'm going to watch a hokey Disney channel movie now. What a way to spend a Friday night.

5 comments:

Jess said...

Ugh, that does not sound like a fun weekend. This winter has been nasty for stuff. I hope you all recover quickly!

MJ said...

Which hokey Disney channel movie? I love hokey Disney channel movies. I'm sorry you're not feeling well, although the story about the concert has Matt and I laughing really hard.

Ms. Emma said...

The concert thing made me laugh out loud, except if I was there, I'd probably throw up myself!

Disney channel is a default for Cailey and me cause its brainless, clean, and we laugh making fun of it.

Stefany said...

It was something about a boy who wants a first edition of a comic book and gets a dog from a shelter and enters a dog show to win the $5000 prize so he can buy the comic for $3000. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Stefany said...

Haha! The word "life" that I just used clicked with me. It was called "Life is Ruff."