03 December 2008

Strep/Scarlet Fever

We have not had a very healthy family this week. Katie is snotty, Aaron, Tristin, Brandon and William have sore throats. Dallin and I have a little congestion and runny noses. I kept the boys home from school on Monday, but none of them got a fever or headache, so I sent them back on Tuesday. This morning, Aidan had a rash all over. Of course, this falls on a Wednesday, the day my normal doctor is not in our clinic. Aidan has been falling asleep at odd times over the past couple of days, and his appetite hasn't been good, so we were pretty sure we knew what it was. Aaron checked his throat, and it looked bad, so I took him to Target Clinic this morning. He has scarlet fever. This is a bit ironic, as he doesn't actually have a fever. The rapid strep culture showed positive in only 2 minutes. The nurse practitioner looked at Dallin's throat and my throat, and said they didn't look red, so she didn't culture us. Her take on strep is that if you don't have symptoms, you don't need antibiotics, so we'll see how that works out.

Aaron is on a plane to Chicago right now. I looked at his throat before he left, and it looked pretty suspicious. He's had a headache, too, so I may have to try to find a clinic for him to drop by there. Fun stuff. As I said two weeks ago when Aaron left on his last business trip, either it snows, or people get sick. Did I mention the driveway has snow on it? We're two for two.

0 comments: