I just realized I accidentally put this post on Pratt Family Cooking, so I changed it over to my blog, along with the comments.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
What happened to Easter?
Last night at Primary Presidency meeting, we were scheduling sharing time and who will be conducting in Primary over the first half of the year. When we got to April, we took note of General Conference, and then the Primary President told us that the next week was Stake Conference. We thought that was a little strange, having them back-to-back. Then I noticed something even more strange. That Sunday is Easter Sunday. My first thought was that it is quite rude for them to make people drive so far on Easter, which takes up most of the day for people in the outlying areas (in particular, Waseca and Mankato). Then another thought occurred to me. This time we are having a prerecorded video conference.Does this strike you as horrid, as it does me? Or is it just because I grew up in a church where the Easter services were full of lilies, scenery of the open tomb, and, especially, tons of really good music!!!??? On Easter, which is supposed to be the most important holiday, the service is going to be prerecorded????I don't often get upset about the things my church leaders ask of me. I am trying to hold back, while I hope for a little clarification about this meeting. Was the date entered wrong on the Stake Calendar (oh, please, let this be the case)? Is the service going to be geared toward Easter (I thought these prerecorded stake conferences were held on different dates)? Will there be live musical numbers (more than just a stake choir singing prelude)?In the presidency meeting, I said that nobody would show up, and they looked at me a little funny, and I said, "Well, I mean, I will, but most people don't even show up for Stake Conference as it is - this will make attendance drop even more, between people travelling and people who want to spend the day with their families, instead of driving across the state that day!" I then received a few sheepish looks from the others, who admitted that they are the ones who rarely show up for stake conferences at all. Then I changed my tune and told them all that maybe I would go to my mom's Lutheran church for Easter. They could tell I was kidding. I tried that one on Aaron last night, and I got the impression he thought I was serious. He found out about this over a month ago at the ward council's calendaring session, and never even mentioned it to me. He doesn't seem concerned. Am I just weird, or does this seem strange to anyone else?
Posted by Stef at 5:10 PM
3 comments:
MJ said...
Yeah, thats kinda strange. I love that you called out the primary presidency. That was awesome.
December 10, 2008 5:41 PM
Nancy said...
I actually had to cancel a baptism on my mission because of conference scheduled on Easter. The investigator wanted nothing to do with a church that didn't take the sacrament on Easter Sunday. I can see exactly where you are coming from... of course, the French only ever attend on Easter and Christmas, so those masses were the big sell for the local cathedral, my perspective may be skew-y. You can come to my ward that week!!!! (The drive is farther.)
December 10, 2008 7:29 PM
Keeping It Sane said...
I didn't think the conferences were shown on other dates. I thought the whole region had conference on that date, and that conference was made just for that region. I could be wrong, though.And, I'm really bummed about this. I hadn't heard. It stinks to have that drive on Easter. I mean, I'd make it to just go to mom and dad's, but to a church meeting? Ugh. I guess Easter is at Mom's house this year. I don't know why it isn't a bigger holiday. It should be.
Cabbage and Potato Chowder
1 month ago

3 comments:
I think I made two mistakes here, but I still object to the whole thing. First, I think they might be live, not prerecorded. Second, that would make Jessica right about it being the same date for all of the region. Aaron thought it was the same date for everyone, too. So, I was wrong there. But I still don't see how it will be a fun Easter. We're assigned to the Bloomington building, so we won't be with extended family that day, either.
Yeah, that doesn't make me feel much better. It just seems odd to have the holiday where we celebrate the resurrection of Christ be one of the few Sundays we miss the Sacrament.
I'm sure it will be a good meeting, though. I seem to remember General Conference landing on Easter Sunday when we were kids, and it was a pretty cool conference. I don't remember missing the sacrament. But, my appreciation for the sacrament has changed in the last few years.
I have some good news. Our stake is so big that the broadcast will now be held in Mankato and Waconia, as well. Yay! I'm pretty resigned to the whole thing now. You know, two hours of church instead of three is a nice thing, after all.
Post a Comment