So, Aaron came home from church on Sunday (I was home with a housefull of sick kids) and said that a letter had been read directing us to get our food storage in order, have some money in savings, reduce debt, and cut expenses. I think there was some other stuff in there, too, but I don't remember. We have our year's supply, and only have debt on our house, but we could certainly stand to have more in savings. In anticipation of Microboards not thriving in this market while it tries to sell yesterday's technology, we have been trying to cut expenses.
So, on Monday, I thought about what we could cut out of our budget. Then it came to me as I was doing laundry. As I was folding laundry, I saw some socks with holes in them, and put them aside to throw away (I already have a whole bunch in the rag pile for dusting and wiping whiteboards). Then I though about it. I spend quite a bit of money on socks. They cost quite a bit, too. Then it came to me that I ought to be darning socks.
Aaron occasionally darns his own socks, but I always thought this was a waste of time. But then I realized that I could be darning while watching television at night. It takes about a half an hour to properly darn one hole, so in an evening, I should be able to fix a pair of socks.
Next, I had to figure out how to darn socks. I took out a needle and thread and started on one pair, and when I was done, it looked like I had quite a nice, lumpy seam with two uncomfortable-looking knots in it. I decided I needed instructions, so I popped on the internet and found this site: http://www.tutorials.com/06/0632/0632.asp
It gives a great tutorial, and a half an hour later, I had a comfortable, holeless, seamless, knotless sock. Yeah! I guess I can save about $7/month on not buying new socks.
Cabbage and Potato Chowder
1 month ago

1 comments:
So, Matt and I have been working on this as well. Granted, we probably have a lot more debt and a lot less in savings, but nonetheless, here you go. I know you used mvelopes for a while and that got frustrating. I found a site today that is the same thing (but better I think) and its completely free. Go to mint.com
My father in law (CFO at some company) took a look at it and recommended it. I generally trust him in financial matters, since thats his business. Anyway, take a look. In just one night of using it, we've learned a lot about where we can cut corners.
Post a Comment